Do you need a liver detox? Probably! Especially if you are peri-menopausal or menopausal.
Your liver does a lot more than break down toxins and help you digest food - it also helps regulates estrogen and keeps hormone levels in balance. As well as keeping metabolism, blood sugar and energy levels in balance. Yes, this small organ is an estrogen detox organ and helps your body "dump" toxic estrogens. To keep this hardworking organ in tiptop shape, I urge you to support your liver with Milk Thistle...your liver's new BFF.
Milk Thistle is packed with silymarin, an active compound that protects the liver from toxins and helps it do its important job. Also, Milk Thistle can regenerate damaged liver tissue. So if you have a compromised liver, which is common after the age of 50, you can cut your risk of liver problems by at least 43% and stimulate the production of new liver cells to replace older, damaged cells. Just 300mg. daily is all you need! AND this is not a costly supplement!
Bonus: Silymarin also helps your liver excrete trapped fluids and toxins, in as little as eight weeks according to German researchers.
There is a natural combo that can help: 5-HTP and L-Tyrosine
Combining L-Tyrosine with 5-HTP can restore emotional balance. Adding L-Tyrosine to 5-HTP supplementation helps to restore all of the main neurochemicals relating to positive mood. This combination is gaining popularity as a depression treatment. The pairing is far gentler than prescription drugs like Prozac or Lexapro, and recent studies indicate it may even be more effective. L-Tyrosine also helps with fatigue, weight gain, and low libido.
The combination of mental energy and personal confidence which the combo delivers is the perfect antidote to social anxiety, and makes it easy to interact with other people or even to speak in front of large groups. The combo of L-Tyrosine and 5-HTP provides a calming and focusing effect for people suffering from ADHD, palpitations, clammy hands, and butterflies in the stomach.
Cognition & Memory Problems?
In addition to the powerful mood lift that these two compounds can deliver, users will also enjoy the added cognitive benefits that L-Tyrosine is famous for. Not only does L-Tyrosine boost energy and motivation, it also improves memory and recall, makes concentration easier and contributes to "fluid intelligence". Your synapses will be flowing freely and your memory lapses and difficulty concentrating can disappear.
Is supplementing L-Tyrosine with 5-HTP safe?
Both of these natural supplements are well-tolerated by most people. Side effects are not reported with moderate doses.
Also, feeling blue is sometimes a normal reaction to events, but we have been taught that we must be forever cheerful. Sometimes life deals you a blow, I know, but don't take prescription drugs that you do not need. Natural supplements can see you through!
Not depressed, but feeling blah all the time?
You might need a Serotonin boost!
According to researchers, if 2 or more of these statements are true, the answer could be yes:
1)I'm often tired & sluggish
2)I have trouble falling asleep &/or staying asleep
3)I tend to crave sweets &/or carbs
4)Even after filling meals, I will get the munchies
5)I often feel stressed, irritable, anxious or blah.
Friends, I take 100 mg of 5-HTP every night. It truly is the happiness/anti-craving supplement. Give it a try!
I take L-Tyrosine daily also. No depression or anxiety for me! Been there, done that. No more!
1. On July 9, 2002, the National Institutes of Health HALTED a landmark scientific study of synthetic hormone replacement therapy (Premarin and Provera) because they found that synthetic estrogen / progestin therapy resulted in: 41% increased risk of stroke, 29%increased risk of heart attack, 26% increased risk of breast cancer and a doubled rateof blood clots in the legs and lungs when compared to women on no hormone therapy.
2. Premarin is not "natural" to the human body. It is made from pregnant mare's urine. The generic name for Premarin is conjugated equine estrogen. There are hundreds of different horse estrogen compounds contained in Premarin, which are foreign to the human body. Also, Premarin contains large amounts of Estrone, which can stimulate breast cells. In 1995 the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology published a study stating that long-term AND short-term users of Premarin had a 40% risk of acquiring breast cancer.
3. The 1995 Nurses' Health Study showed that women taking synthetic estrogen alone had a 36% increased risk of breast cancer; those on synthetic estrogen plus progestin had a 50% increase; those on progestins alone had a 240% increased risk of acquiringbreast cancer! Women who, at the time of the study, had been taking estrogen and progestin for 5-10 years had a 45% increased risk. This study is one of the largest done to date. Older age was associated with a higher risk.
4. Feb 13, 2002 - Journal of the American Medical Society - study of HRT in Relation to Breast Cancer. Results showed that longer use of HRT was associated with increased risk of breast cancer. The incidence of breast cancer was increased by 60% to 85% in recent long-term users of HRT.
5. HRT does NOT protect the heart as previously stated. Mainstream medical doctors use the rationale that elevated cancer risks are balanced by the fact that these estrogens protect against heart disease and osteoporosis. In April, 2000, a federal study of 25,000 women indicated that conventional HRT may put women at a higher risk of heart attack andstroke.
6.The estrogen, "estriol" is completely missing from most forms of conventional HRT. Estriol protects the body from the proliferative effects (causing cells to multiply) and is especially protective against breast cancer. To learn more, see Dr. John Lee's book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Breast Cancer" (ProHELP &Menopause Crème are recommended in this book).
7. Commercially available estrogen patches and gels contain 100% estradiol which is the most potent of all the estrogens. It is bio-identical but lacks estriol, a "weaker" estrogen that can confer protection of breast tissue. Many patches issue the warning: ESTROGENS HAVE BEEN REPORTED TO INCREASE THE RISK OF ENDOMETRIAL CARCINOMA IN POSTMENOPAUSAL WOMEN. So...If you are on Estradiol please, please, please balance it with progesterone to protect your breasts!
8. Synthetic hormone drugs have unwanted and sometimes dangerous side effects because their altered structure results in altered actions on the cells and tissues of the body. Two new studies show SYNTHETIC HORMONE THERAPY IS LINKED TO BRAINSHRINKAGE. The studies show that commonly prescribed forms of postmenopausal hormone therapy may slightly accelerate the loss of brain tissue in women 65 and older beyond what normally occurs with aging.
9. A side effect of synthetic hormones is weight gain, especially around the middle, hips and thighs (the classic "pear-shaped" weight gain). The average weight gain in women who were placed on synthetic hormones was between 20-30 pounds, sometimes even more!
10.Studies have demonstrated the benefits of bio-identical estrogen, progesterone and testosterone, including improved bone/joint/ligament health, control of hot flashes and vaginal dryness, cardiovascular benefits, enhancement of brain function (memory, mood), and skin thickness. Over the past 30 years in Europe, millions of women have enjoyed animproved quality of life with bio-identical hormone therapy which promotes hormone balance. Hormone balance cannot be created with altered hormone drugs which are counterfeit to our bodies. THE GOOD NEWS! The Women's Health Initiative study showed that within 5 years of discontinuing synthetic hormones, a woman's risk of breast cancer returns to normal.
Progesterones (called progestins):Provera, Aygestin and DepoProvera and certain birth control pills.
Combinations:EstraTest, Activella, PremPro, PremPhase, CombiPatch, ClimaraPro, FemHRT, and 110 types of hormonal birth control methods.
When correcting hormonal imbalance, it is common sense to use the exact human hormones(s) that are needed. Drug companies make chemically altered synthetic drugs because this allows them to patent their product which yields protected BIG revenue. Altered chemical structure means VERY different actions in the body.
Email me if you have questions OR would like a printed version of this to give to a friend or loved one.
They are very common! But women get frightened when they hear the word "cyst" and doctors can over-react. So here is some good information for you. A cyst is a fluid-filled sac and can occur anywhere in the body, including the ovaries.
There are different types of ovarian cysts, but functional cysts are the most common. Every month your ovaries usually release an egg which travels through the fallopian tube. The most common types of cysts occur when the egg is not released (follicular cyst) OR when the sac that the egg was formed in does not dissolve (corpus luteum cyst). Follicular cysts usually disappear within 1-3 months. Corpus Luteum cysts usually go away after a few weeks. Most doctors I know will give both types of cysts at least 6 weeks to disappear, which they usually do. These cysts are virtually never associated with cancer, so don't be alarmed.
What about Polycystic ovaries (PCOS)?
With PCOS, the eggs mature within the follicle, but the sac does not break open to release the egg. The cycle repeats and eventually you have what looks like a string of pearls on an ultrasound. (I have an entire video on this topic and the link is below.)
Okay, let's talk size
Later in life, usually after age 35 women sometimes develop an ovarian cyst that, instead of collapsing and disappearing, may increase in size during succeeding months. Some may become as large as the proverbial "lemon or golf ball". If the cyst is over 4 cm your doctor may recommend surgery. A more conservative approach is to watch the cyst called "watchful waiting". Most often, it will go away on its own.
Removing the ovary along with the cyst used to be the standard procedure, but ask your doctor to leave your ovary intact if at all possible. You want to hang on to your ovaries if you can. Your ovaries are the anatomical equivalent of a man's testicles...they are a source of energy, libido, and hormone balance. Removing them is akin to removing testicles...known as castration. If your doctor says this will solve all of your problems, I would personally think twice.
Symptoms of an Ovarian Cyst
Often, ovarian cysts do not cause any symptoms. However, symptoms can appear as the cyst grows. Symptoms may include:
abdominal bloating or swelling
pain in the lower back & thighs
painful bowel movements
pelvic pain before or during the menstrual cycle
Severe symptoms of an ovarian cyst that require immediate medical attention include:
severe or sharp pelvic pain w/ fever
These severe symptoms can indicate a ruptured cyst or an ovarian torsion...a twisted cyst. What is a twisted cyst? These can grow to almost 4 inches and cause an ovary to twist or move from its original position. Blood supply to the ovary is cut off, and if not treated, it can cause damage to the ovarian tissue. The most common treatment for this condition is surgery and I would agree with that.
What is a ruptured ovarian cyst? It is a cyst that has broken open. No one really knows why this happens. A cyst is more likely to rupture during strenuous exercise or sexual activity. It is accompanied by sudden sharp pelvic pain. Treatment usually involves medications for pain control, but not surgery.
Doctors may prescribe oral contraceptives to stop ovulation and prevent the development of new cysts. BUT Oral contraceptives can increase risk of breast cancer-especially in young women. GOOD NEWS! Natural progesterone can also be used to treat ovarian cysts, and has no adverse risks.
How does progesterone help?
The mechanism that allows ovulation from one ovary during each cycle is the production of progesterone in that ovary. Then, the other ovary shuts down so you do not get two eggs coming from two ovaries. So, if you use sufficient progesterone prior to ovulation, Luteinizing hormone levels are inhibited and both ovaries think the other one has ovulated, so regular ovulation does not occur. Thus the ovarian cyst will not be stimulated and, in 1-2 monthly cycles, will very likely shrink and disappear without further treatment.
Use progesterone Day 10-26 of your cycle, ½ tsp twice daily. Continue for 3 cycles to temporarily suppress ovulation. When you go back to Day 12-26 at ¼ tsp per day ovulation will then usually occur in the 4th month & you are back to "normal". So, if you have an ovarian cyst, progesterone can help! I love ProHELP. As you know I developed it with the help of Dr. John R. Lee.
It is hard to say for sure that ovarian cysts can be prevented. Many women will experience a cyst over their lifetime which will disappear within a few months. However, recurrent ovarian cysts can occur in premenopausal women and women with hormone imbalances.
If you want to be aggressive, I would keep your liver healthy with Milk Thistle. It will enable the liver readily filter out harmful xenohormones that can exacerbate cysts. Also, an estrogen detox with DIM can help.
One more thing: if you have PCOS & want to get pregnant, you should treat it with natural progesterone as PCOS can lead to infertility. See our video or visit the Fertility Shoppe! I'll put the link below.
Take care my friends!And write to me with your questions. Just give me 24-48 hours to respond.
Hello Friends! A lot of you are asking me about negative calorie foods. There are books being written about them. What are they?
The theory is that not every calorie is burned equally in your body. According to proponents of the negative calorie effect, especially Dr. Neal Barnard from George Washington University's School of Health, there are foods that require morefood energy to bedigestedthan the food provides. In other words the caloric "cost" of digesting the food would equal negative calories. These foods are plant-derived and are high in water content and rich in fiber. Since your body takes a longer time to burn off fibrous foods, your metabolism continues to stay revved up to jumpstart weight loss. The theory goes like this: A piece of dessert consisting of 400 calories may require only 150 calories to be digested by your body, resulting in a net gain of 250 calories which is added to your body fat...especially right around your middle. Oh no!
BUT if you eat 100 calories of a food that requires 150 calories to digest, then you've burned an additional 50 calories simply by eating that food. Got it? Now I agree that it is theoretically possible to have a negative-calorie food but I have not seen any scientific studies and you all know I like to see studies. However, I tried eating lots of negative calorie foods for about ten days and actually lost a pound. AND it's difficult for me to lose a pound because I'm thin and pretty much at my fighting weight. Sooo...you try it and let me know what happens. We'll do our own study!
Ok lets look at 10 "negative calorie" foods:
1. ALMONDS: Very high in protein & fiber. They promote feelings of satiety so they help you avoid snacking & overeating.
2. APPLES: Contain polyphenols that help reduce belly fat. Pectin helps you feel full by keeping food in your stomach longer.
3. BERRIES: These, especially strawberries, are loaded with fiber. Berries are very thermogenic so they boost metabolism to burn calories. They also regulate leptin which keeps hunger in check.
4 CELERY: Ah, good ole celery! Get the hearts...they're so tasty. Celery is filling and high in fiber. It is probably a true negative calorie food.
5 CITRUS FRUITS (Grapefruit, lemons, and oranges): Vitamin C burns body fat; In addition, they contain Carnitine which converts fatty acids to fuel instead of fat.
6. CRUCIFEROUS VEGGIES (Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussels, Cabbage):Cabbage! Oh, wow...this is my favorite! I'm of Polish descent so I ate a LOT of cabbage in my youth. I mean A LOT! I still love it. I slice it raw & dip it in oil & vinegar. Or you can make the famous cabbage soup and sip it all day Almost NO calories and so much fiber! Cruciferous veggies contain Indole-3-carb and DIM which stops the growth of fat cells by reducing badestrogen. Think you are high in estrogen? Check out my estrogen detox video on my Barbara Hoffman YouTube channel. (Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThiRh0yYCVs)
7. CUKES: Loaded with insoluble fiber. They delay the body's absorption of glucose (sugar) which is stored as fat.
8. GREEN LEAFY VEGGIES (Lettuce, spinach, kale, arugula, mustard greens, and chard): Contain phyto-nutrients that stabilize appetite, normalize cholesterol & decrease body weight.
9. NIGHTSHADES (Tomatoes, red and green bell pepper, eggplants, chilies, jalapenos): They are high in water volume and high in fiber. They are also fat burners. Hot peppers contain lots of capsaicin, which is thermogenic.
10. MUSHROOMS: All mushrooms are low, low, low in calories. You can sauté them as a side dish. Even the big boy portabella mushroom is low in calories so it makes a great replacement for high calorie beef in burgers.
Bonus: Black Beans! 1 cup = 30 grams of fiber. Spice them up and eat freely.
There you go! My best list of the "negative calorie" foods. Look at my snack plate! Yum!You can munch on this all day.
Note: If you are packing on the pounds right around the middle, please watch my video on estrogen detox. I care about you! AND I am your weight loss cheerleader.