Will Natural Progesterone Help with Migraines and Chronic Headaches?
It may amaze you to know that almost one in five women has some migraine headaches. They are most common between the ages of 35 and 45. Many headaches are hormone-related. Migraine headaches are associated with over-dilation of blood vessels in the brain. When these vessels expand, they press on nerves which cause the intense pain. The blood vessels may also narrow which constricts blood flow and causes vision problems or dizziness. A migraine can last for longer than a day and is totally debilitating in many women. According to Dr. Christine Northrup, an expert in menopause, hormone imbalance contributes to those migraines that occur during PMS, perimenopause and menopause. With PMS and peri-menopause, the migraine usually comes just before your period, and are most likely due to the condition of estrogen dominance. Also, use of high estrogen birth control pills can trigger migraines. With menopause, the migraines can occur at any time dependent on hormone fluctuations.
In addition to hormonal changes, migraines can be brought on by:
• Lack of sleep (very common with women over age 45)
• Bright light or loud noise
• Food additives like MSG or nitrates
• Not eating, especially lack of protein
• Stress and anxiety
• Changes in weather
Many women who suffer from migraines are given rather strong medication. Side effects of the drugs can include nausea and vomiting, muscle pains, numbness and tingling in the fingers and toes, and rapid (or slowed) heart rate. Many, many women have been able to completely recover from menstrual and menopausal migraines without the use of drugs by using progesterone crème.
Progesterone helps to restore normal vascular tone, thus counteracting the dilation of blood vessels that causes the headache. It also opposes the excess estrogen that can cause the hormonal headaches.
To use progesterone crème:
Apply ¼ - ½ tsp. on your skin daily for the two weeks prior to your period (Day 12-26), or three weeks out of every month if you are no longer having periods.
This works well for so many women, that I want to pass it on to all of you:
When you feel a migraine coming on, you can apply ¼ to ½ teaspoon every 3-4 hours. You can apply the crème directly to your neck and temples.
What else can you do? Other Hormones:
Melatonin, an active metabolite of serotonin has been reported to reduce the incidence of migraine attacks and to treat active migraine. Suggested dose: 1-3 mg at bedtime. During an attack, 10 mg.
The hormone Estriol was tested in the mid-1980s at a German University. For use by women who had migraine as a part of their menopausal symptoms Estriol therapy was successful in 92% of all cases. Need an Estriol recommendation?
Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 877 880-0170.
Also: There are wonderful supplements proven to help with headache and migraines:
1. Feverfew extracts are used widely in the United Kingdom and Germany. Feverfew works by inhibiting human blood aggregates and serotonin secretion. In a double-blind study, the results showed that feverfew caused a significant reduction in pain Symptoms, such as vomiting nausea, and sensitivity to nose and light, were also dramatically reduced
2. Magnesium Supplementation: The role of magnesium in the pathogenesis of migraine has been studied extensively. Evidence suggests that up to 50% of patients have low levels of magnesium. The study found that oral maganesium supplementation can reduce the frequency of migraine attacks.
3. CoQ10: According to researchers, the onset of migraine may occur due to mitochondrial dysfunction. CoQ10 may be an effective agent in preventing migraine. In a clinical trail conducted at the Cleveland Clinic patients showed a significant reduction in the average number of days with migraine after 3 months of treatment. The administered dose was 150 mg daily. No side effects were observed. You could start with 100 mg or 120 which is a commonly sold dose.
4. Ginkgo Biloba
Because migraine is neurovascular in nature, ginkgo may provide relief: 120 mg daily.
Please do not suffer any longer. Try one of these or more! You were NOT designed to suffer. You just have an imbalance that needs to be corrected.