Barbara Hoffman’s 12 Step Program to STOP PMS
1. Do not accept PMS as your “normal”. It’s caused by a hormone imbalance with estrogen being more dominant. Symptoms are NOT normal: cramps, mood swings, anxiety, bloating, and feeling out of control for 2 weeks of every month. NOT Normal!
2. Balance Your Hormones by using Progesterone Crème from Day 12-26 of your cycle. Eliminate Estrogen dominance.
3. Do not accept Cramping as your “normal”. How severe your cramping is correlated to the excess estrogens in your system. You can alleviate cramping by using progesterone crème, taking 100 mg of Vitamin B6, taking magnesium, or using an herbal formula containing cramp bark which is to be taken 2-4 days prior to any predictable cramping.
4. Stop pre-menstrual depression. Studies have shown that women with PMS have levels of
serotonin circulating in their blood are lower than normal. Serotonin is a feel good neurotransmitter. To help increase levels of serotonin, use 5-HTP. It’s a natural product that is the precursor to serotonin 50-100 mg per day can change your life.
5. Combat stress which depletes ovarian hormones. Stress is created by cortisol When cortisol
levels are constantly high, it affects normal hormone production and makes it hard to produce serotonin. In order to beat stress, get more sleep and consider Rhodiola or Phosphatidyl Serine.
6. “Out of control” PMS can be fixed. Very severe symptoms are caused by the fall in progesterone levels. You may not be using enough progesterone. Try using a double strength for about 2 months. You can even use it during your cycle until you get back to normal.
ProHELP Moisture Crème
7. PMS in your 40s is common, but treatable. You can be experiencing symptoms because you are nearing perimenopause which can lead to a higher levels of estrogen in relation to your progesterone. . Use progesterone crème instead of birth control! In your 40s, taking synthetic progestins can increase your risk of heart attack, stroke, and breast cancer! Also try using Vitex to balance hormones or 5-HTP which is known to raise serotonin levels.
8. Beat the Bloat! Bloating is the feeling of not being able to fit into your pants as well as you did
before. You can fix this! Eat Greek Yogurt which induces your body tissue to release trapped fluids Another thing you can eat is cucumber. It is rich in silicon and sulfur which boosts kidney function to increase urine output. One thing you can drink is iced tea. It combines water, caffeine, and polyphenols which signal the hypothalamus so it can reduce the production of vasopressin which is considered the “bloat hormone”
9. Make sleep a priority! Sleeping 7-8 1⁄2 hours per night keeps cortisol in check and promotes good hormone balance. If you get enough sleep, you will eat less and eat healthier. It also increases leptin which makes us feel full. Take melatonin or progesterone to sleep better at night!
10. Eliminate premenstrual anxiety – GABA to calm you. GABA, a neurotransmitter, plays a role in both relieving anxiety and elevating mood and can provide relief from PMS symptoms.
11. Take your anti-PMS supplements. 5-HTP to raise serotonin levels. Vitex (Chasteberry Extract) to reduce headache, depression, breast tenderness. A good vitamin B complex containing Folic acid B-6 and B-12 Magnesium. Omega-3 fatty acids to alleviate cramps.
5 HTP & Vitex Chasteberry Extract
12. Decrease sugar intake – keep insulin levels normal. High insulin levels disrupt hormone balance and can cause more cramps, mood swings, irregular periods, or heavy bleeding. I have a great Sugar Detox on my blog or I can email it to you. It’s not difficult to cut out sugars, especially those hidden ones.
Okay, ladies...Follow these 12 steps and beat PMS!
Email me if you need more information!